Lake Meadows was owned by the Spitty family in the 19th century and they had out-of-work farm labourers dig our the lake with the Billericay District Council taking the inspired decision to buy the land from a subsequent owner and create the beautiful park in 1935.
The park (covering 40 acres) is now a prominent local leisure facility and includes playing fields, fishing, crazy golf, a bowling green, cafe, tennis courts and children's play area. The land is also home to a swimming pool, cricket pitch and skate park.
Events at Lake Meadows
During the course of the year a number of public events are held at the park which can hold up to 5,000 people. Events include the Billericay Fireworks, run by the round Table, and event by The Friends of Lake Meadows, plus other organisations.
Friends of Lake Meadows
A voluntary organisation working with Basildon Council, Billericay Town Council and the Billericay community to promote public interest in the park and help maintain it. You can find out more at http://www.lakemeadows.org.uk/
View our selection of photos from around Lake Meadows and photos submitted by local residents and photographers in our galleries here:
A full history about the formation of the park and its heritage can be found here: http://www.lakemeadows.org.uk/history.html
Where is Lake Meadows park?