Article by The Echo: A knifepoint robber who targeted shops across Essex including in Billericay, Hutton and Great Baddow has been jailed for ten years.

Danny Wrenn was one of two men armed with a machete who demanded cash from staff at Domino’s Pizza in Rayleigh Road, Hutton, on December 21, 2017, but fled empty-handed when staff raised the panic alarm.

He and another man then targeted The Chelmsford Star Co-Operative in Woodland Avenue, Hutton,on December 27, 2017. They stole more than £2,700 as well as Euros and US dollars, and cigarettes.

He and an accomplice targeted the same shop on February 10 last year and stole £324.25, after arming themselves with knives and threatening staff.

Wrenn was also responsible for a string of robberies and attempted robberies in March and April last year.

He and another man entered the post office in Lambourne Road, Chigwell, on March 19 armed with a hammer and a knife. They threatened the shopowner and stole £90.

Wrenn then walked into Appan’s Superstore in Kiln Road, Benfleet, on March 30 and brandished a knife at the cashier, demanding he open the till.

He then told him to take him to a member of staff who could open it. But the victim led him upstairs and locked himself in a room, forcing Wrenn to leave empty-handed.

He continued his spree the following day when he demanded money and cigarettes from staff at TN News in Baddow Road, Great Baddow, and got away with £700 in cash.

On April 6, staff at the Co-Op in Stock Road, Billericay, were forced to open the till and safe and Wrenn got away with £4,025 (read the article).

He also robbed the Co-Op supermarket in Broadway, Silver End, where he got away with an unknown amount of cash and attempted to rob staff at a Co-Op in

Ipswich, on April 5 but staff refused to open the tills and alerted police. Then struck again in Colchester, later that same evening.

However a few days before on April 2, he went to the Co-Op Local in Clacton, and got away with about £500, but when officers arrived and searched the area, they again found a T-shirt near the scene, which was forensically tested and contained a DNA match for Wrenn.

A warrant was executed at a flat linked to Wrenn in Mimosa Close, Harold Hill, on April 8, where he was found and arrested.

He was charged with three counts of attempted robbery; eight counts of robbery; two counts of having a knife in a public place; and one count of possession of cannabis. He admitted the charges when he appeared at Chelmsford Crown Court in June last year.

Wrenn, 29, of no fixed address, was remanded in custody and sentenced on, Tuesday 19 March, to a total of ten years in prison.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Hollie Hughes said: “Wrenn planned his crimes, arming himself and targeting small shops just before closing time.

“His time was up and it was time that justice was served for Essex residents and shopkeepers. He left his victims terrified and I hope it gives them some comfort that he will be in jail for a significant amount of time.”

Article by The Echo

More local news