Fire crew jacket

Article by Simon Murfitt: The family of the landlord of the Old Kings Head Pub in Stock Road, near Billericay were asleep upstairs when a fire took hold in the kitchen.

A fire took hold in the Stock Road pub due to an electrical fault in the kitchen at around 12.30am this morning (Tuesday 3 February 2015) but fire crews were quickly on scene to put the fire out by 1.07am.

[quote width="auto" align="none" border="#0066cc" color="#0066cc" title="Quoted by Sub Officer Sean Norris from Billericay Fire Station"]The landlord and his family were asleep upstairs in the pub when the fire broke out in the ground floor kitchen. They were woken by smoke alarms which meant they all managed to escape from the pub unhurt before they called us in. When we arrived at the incident the crews quickly extinguished the fire before it spread any further and the firefighters contained the fire to the kitchen area, however, the property had become heavily smoke logged throughout and a high pressure fan was used to ventilate the property. Incidents like this illustrate the importance of having a working smoke alarm, detecting a fire in the early stages, giving you a vital warning and alllowing you time to escape from fire in your home.[/quote]

To book a free home fire safety visit and have a smoke alarm installed, please call 0300 303 0088 or email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Article by Simon Murfitt, Brentwood Gazette

More local news