Article by Ric Brown: Pupils at the worst school in Essex for truancy missed the equivalent of 948 school days in the most recent autumn and spring terms - the poorest figures in England.
Crays Hill Primary School in Billericay has the worst truancy rate in the country, exclusive Essex Chronicle analysis of absence figures reveals.
The number of unauthorised absences works out at missing 15.9 per cent of all possible school time without permission.
While Crays Hill Primary was the worst in England, it was another Essex school, Tendring Enterprise Studio School in Clacton, which finished second in the country, where 11.7 per cent of all possible school time was missed during those two terms.
The Basildon Upper Academy was the third highest in Essex at 5.4 per cent of sessions missed without permission. A 'session' is the equivalent to half a school day.
Fourteen schools in total in Essex had a truancy rate of three per cent or above. On the other hand, skipping classes was unheard of at two schools in Essex, St John's in Buckhurst Hill and Braiswick Primary School in Colchester. Neither school recorded a single unauthorised absence during either term.
The average for Essex was 0.9 per cent of possible school sessions missed, the same as the national average.
Where did your school finish?
Rank, school, location, per cent of unauthorised absences in autumn 2015 and spring 2016.
- Crays Hill Primary School, Crays Hill, Billericay, 15.9
- Tendring Enterprise Studio School, Clacton,11.7
- The Basildon Upper Academy, Pitsea, 5.4
- Sir Charles Kao UTC, Harlow, 5.1
- New Campus Basildon Studio School, Great Oaks, 4.5
- William Read Primary School, Canvey Island, 4.5
- The Basildon Lower Academy, Basildon, 4.3
- Lubbins Park Community Primary School, Canvey Island, 4.3
- The Gateway Academy, Grays, 3.9
- Chase High School, Westcliff-on-Sea, 3.6
Article by Ric Brown, Essex Live
Image by Robin Bell, Daily Mail