Recovery crews on the a127

Article by Paige Ingram: A man died after "deliberately" crashing his car into the bridge over a major Essex road.

Przemyslaw Jeznach had been suffering from depression in the run-up to his death, when his BMW collided with a wall of a bridge running over an underpass on the A127.

On October 28 last year, the road was closed for 12 hours between Rayleigh Weir and the Fairglen Interchange following a crash in the early hours of the morning.

Mr Jeznach, from Billericay, had been driving his BMW along the dual-carriageway towards Southend when he collided with the support wall of the bridge running over the Rayleigh underpass.

His car was flung into the air and flipped onto its side before landing near the central reservation. When emergency services arrived, they rolled the car onto its wheels and tried to free Mr Jeznach, who was trapped inside.

The 32-year-old died at the scene.

At an inquest hearing into his death, held at Essex Coroners' Court in Chelmsford on Tuesday (July 14), it was claimed that the collision was most likely intentional.

Rob Colbert, the coroner's officer, summarised the case. He said:

"On October 28, 2019, Mr Jeznach was the driver of a BMW motor car that was involved in a collision on the A127 near Rayleigh. Paramedics attended and death was confirmed at 4.15am."



The inquest heard how results of a post-mortem, carried out by Dr Simon Payne on November 4 at Southend Hospital, showed that Mr Jeznach died as a result of 'multiple injuries'.

The court then heard evidence from PC Danielle Brennan, from Essex Police's Forensic Collision Unit, who attended the scene of the incident.

PC Brennan went into some detail about the moments before the collision and the scuffs, scratches and tyre marks found on the road surface and bridge support wall.

Evidence also suggested that Mr Jeznach was travelling 'well in excess of 40mph' at the time of the collision. Ahead of PC Brennan's arrival, at around 4.10am, the scene had been preserved by other officers in attendance.

"There was a curved tyre mark that went from lane two across to the lay-by under the roundabout," she said.

"There were a number of scratches, tyre marks and gauges where the lay-by meets the bridge support. It seems it was most likely due to an intentional steer by Mr Jeznach"

PC Brennan went onto explain that Mr Jeznach was the only occupant in the vehicle and was wearing his seatbelt at the time of the crash.

The court heard that he was trapped in the car when it came to rest on its side near the central reservation after rebounding off the bridge support wall.

"The BMW headed towards the nearside lay-by and the bridge support," PC Brennan said.

"It seems it was most likely due to an intentional steer by Mr Jeznach. There was no evidence to suggest he was out of control."

There was also no evidence of any drugs or alcohol in Mr Jeznach's system at the time of the collision.

"He was like a little brother to me, he was a lovely guy"

Mr Jeznach's friend, who had seen him on the morning of his death, said: "He did suffer with a bit of depression but I used to try and help him, sometimes I would spend several hours talking him around.

"He was like a little brother to me, he was a lovely guy, he would do anything for anyone. He didn't have many people here in the UK so I took him under my wing."


Senior coroner, Caroline Beasley-Murray weighed up all the evidence before reaching a verdict. She said:

"It would appear from the account that the BMW was driven deliberately into the side of the bridge. It appears Mr Jeznach applied a left-hand steering input most likely with the intention of travelling towards the support wall. I am having regard that he was somewhat depressed at times so it is possible that he intended to take his own life. But, I am going to conclude that he died as a result of a road traffic collision."

Article by Paige Ingram, EssexLive