Billericay Train Station

Article by Poppie Webter: Two off-duty policemen were brutally attacked by a gang after they tried to break up a fight between two women.

Essex Police were called to Billericay train station just after 10.50pm on Wednesday, where the two officers were found injured near the taxi rank after being beaten by the gang of five men.

Having been to a pub to watch the Euro 2020 semi-final, the officers had left their fellow colleagues to head back home when they stumbled across the women having a fight.

Attempting to calm the situation down, the pair tried to break them up, before being approached by the group.

 Although it’s understood the men were not known to the two women, a member of the group launched their attack on one of the officers, before the rest set upon his colleague.

One of the men suffered a minor injury, while the second suffered a serious injury but is in a stable condition.

A father of one of the officers, who lives in Billericay, was horrified to get the devastating call. He said:

“My son’s colleague was unconscious on the floor trying to be kept awake by the police. They both have families and children, these are married men that went out to have a drink and enjoy the game - then this happens. Billericay never used to be like that. It was such a shock, my daughter-in-law phoned and said can you get up there quickly? I threw my clothes on as quickly as possible and me and my wife rushed down there. They had just tried to stop the women fighting when five blokes came out of nowhere and one punched his colleague straight in the face. My son then had three of them firing blows at him and were punching him all over. He was left with a cut eye and knee, bruises all over, and a swollen ear where he’d been hit in the side of the head.”

A police probe has now been launched into the incident involving the Met officers, with the force urging anyone who may be able to assist in their investigation to come forward.

Contact Basildon CID, incident number 1350 of July 7.

Article by Poppie Webter, The Echo